domingo, 4 de mayo de 2014

In my kitchen.....May!

In My Kitchen is a monthly series hosted by Celia at  http://figjamandlimecordial.com/.

Every month she posts what is happening in her kitchen.....and a lot  happens!!!

Sometimes I can show some new items and this month In my kitchen there are :


"YERBA MATE" : a South American herb used to make the beverage.
Mate is the caffeinated beverage made from yerba mate and although I drink it sometimes, it isn´t my usual hot beverage, I prefer coffee, but when you are trying to loose some weight, mate is useful to feel satisfied so..........I ´ll give it a try. 
UNION is a very well known brand of yerba mate here in Argentina and I chose a variety with less "mateina" (simil to cafeina), 




Drinking mate with friends from a shared hollow gourd (mate in Spanish) with a metal straw (a bombilla in Spanish) is a common social practice in Argentina, Uruguay and southern Brazil, among people of all ages.
So here is my new "mate" with the "bombilla"


The infusion is similar to tea, so you have to fill the "mate" with "yerba" and then pour hot water in it and voila! Mate is served.


The flavour resembles an infusion of herbs and vegetables. 


Come to Argentina my friends, to taste it!


In my kitchen, there are  new paper cups for my future muffins and cupcakes:


And finally a gift from my friend Jane, measure spoons and cups two in one!



Finally in my kitchen preparations are at full flight because we have a birthday on May 12th, but next post you´ll see.
So, if you like the idea, hop over to Celia´s blog for a sneaky peek into other kitchens aroun the world.
Have a nice week!!!

14 comentarios:

  1. Ale, I've seen the yerba mate for sale here, but never tried it! I was told that everyone has to have their own straw, is that right? Your little woven cup is the prettiest I've ever seen. The cupcake holders are very sweet too! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. When you are with friends usually everybody use the same straw. Here in Argentina I never see people not sharing it.
    If you are among strangers you don´t share "mate".
    Here this beverage is a symbol of friendship and time spent with friends.
    I´m not a fan! but is an important part of our culture.
    Like "asados" (barbecue).
    Visit us and you´ll have an accurate idea!!!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. That sounds like an interesting drink. Would love to go to Argentina.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Now I want to go to Argentina and have mate (obviously with my own straw since I'd be a stranger). I love those meansuring scoops/spoons. what a clever idea.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I didn't like yerba at all when I visited South America. I found it too bitter. I'm sure it's like Vegemite - an acquired taste! Thanks for the tour.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. There are different blends of yerba; just like tea. Nexttime you have to taste a light one!

      Eliminar
  6. Ive never had Yerba Mate, had heard of it. Your colourful woven cup is gorgeous, I've never seen anything like it ever.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. G'day and thank you for allowing me to learn something new!
    Thank you for this month's kitchen view too!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ResponderEliminar
  8. The measuring cups/spoons are genius! Thanks for sharing!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Ale, I love learning new things about cultures and customs and your IMK post was a wonderful education, thank you. Best wishes on your weight loss goal... I'm still working on my "winter weight gain," too. (Aarrggh!) Maybe I need to drink some Yerba Mate?! I like the idea of a communal straw... a sign of trust and friendship! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  10. I have similar measuring cups / spoons. They are so great to have in the kitchen. Thanks for the tour Ale.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. thanks for visiting my blog Ale! YES!! Argentina is definitely on my list of places to visit! I have not been to South America yet, only as far south as Costa Rica....and now I know a blogger who lives in Argentina, even better!

    ResponderEliminar